When the 3.1 Independence Movement took place in Korea 100 years ago, the Korean leaders such as Seo, Jae Pil and Rhee, Seung Man and over 150 Koreans held the First Korean Congress at the Little Theatre in Philadelphia and marched through the city to announce the legitimacy of Korean independence to the world.
Although the 3.1 Independence Movement in Korea was difficult to sustain due to Japanese repression, in the United States it spread throughout the country for the next three years through the “Korea Review” and the “League of Friends of Korea” and became the foundation of Korea’s independence. (3.1 Independence Movements in U.S.A)
On May 1st 2018, the Korean community in Greater Philadelphia established the committee to revive the First Korean Congress to celebrate the 100th year of the 3.1 independence movement and prepare commemorative businesses such as:
* Symposium on Reflection of the First Korean Congress
* The 3.1 Independence Movement March in Philadelphia
* Renovation/remodeling of the Jaisohn Memorial House
* Korea-America Friendship Night
* Symposium on Independence Movement in USA
Prior to full scale activities, we are holding a logo contest, so submit your idea for the chance to win prize money and be a part of the independence movement march during the event.
* Contents of the contest: images that can represent historical meaning of the First Korean Congress which considers as the 3.1 independence movement in USA 100 years ago.
* Opening period: 6.20 2018 - 7.28.2018
* Eligibility : open to anyone including groups
* Judges: The Centennial Celebration of First Korean Congress Organizing Committee
* Entry Form : JPEG or PDF / a brief description of the meaning of logo and the applicant
* Entry method: E-mail or Mail ( attn: the First Korean Congress Organizing Committee)
The Korean-American Association of Greater Philadelphia:
1001 W. 70th Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19126
The Philip Jaisohn Memorial Foundation:
6705 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA 19126
* All mailed entries must be received by the due date.
* The winner announcement and Prize: notify individually on 8.3.2018
- Adult and student : $500
- Student ( K- 18years old) $200
*The winners ( individual or group ) will be given the opportunities to participate actively on all events.
All entires submitted to the contest become the property of the First Korean Congress Organizing Committee.
If any questions, please contact:
The Korean-American Association of Greater Philadelphia: 215-927-1580 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The Philip Jaisohn Memorial Foundation: 215-224-6246 / email@example.com